Friday, July 20, 2012

His Gentleness Makes Us Great


A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city:
and their contentions are like the bars of a castle.
                                  Proverbs 18:19

Oh my… We’ve all been there, haven’t we?  Someone said or did something and we are hurting. It seems those offensive people deliberately step on those hurts and grind their presumptuous words right into our stinging painful wound, so we will KNOW we don’t live-up to THEIR expectations. Our hurt is deep.

Sure we know the verse in Psalms about God’s word being in our hearts and nothing should offend us.
Ha! In a perfect world!
(easy now~ I’m not “Ha!”ing God’s Word, but who WE are)

***THANK YOU, JESUS! You remember we are only a handful of dust, and your mercies are new each morning! Not just for me, but for the
overbearing, pompous offender, as well.
Don’t allow me to draw away from YOU because of their indiscretion. Hold me tight.***

Pride leads to disgrace,   
but
with humility comes wisdom. 
                              Proverbs 11:2 ESV

And, oh my, we’ve all been here as well… (Have mercy on ME, Jesus! Sometimes my attitude stinks!) We in our Christian arrogance forget how far God ~with His sweet love~ has patiently, gently, nurtured us, forgiven us and strengthened us… We become prideful in the life we are living and in that mindset we expect those around us to live up to who “WE THINK” they should be. EEEK! And in that pride we pronounce judgment with our attitudes and the snide remarks we let slip out at just that right moment… because “WE KNOW” what they should and shouldn’t be doing!

***Jesus, remember who I am. I need those mercies~ again. Help ME to remember that I am, without your grace, only a sinful hunk of dirt… Let me be humble before you, so I can be full of your wisdom in all of my reactions and relationships.***

Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation:
and thy right hand hath holden me up,
and thy gentleness hath made me great.
                             Psalm 18:35


May this be our prayer, our mantra:
***YOU are my shield (protection), YOU are my salvation, YOU hold me up with your right hand, YOUR GENTLENESS is what will make me great. YOUR GENTLENESS is what will encourage a friend. YOU are everything, Jesus. Change my perspective. Gentle my words and attitude. 
I am and can be nothing good without YOU.*** 

Gentle words are a tree of life.
                            Proverbs 15:4a

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul,
and health to the bones.
                                 Proverbs 16:24

***Jesus… Oh, my Jesus… When I see a friend struggling, in need of direction, or needing a nudge in the right direction, let your humbleness speak sweet, kind, loving words,
pleasant words through me~
words that won’t discourage or be offensive.
Let me remember offensive words create bars of contention making it difficult for anyone to see and know YOU.
Give me a heart of wisdom, eyes of discernment, and speak words of Life and Health through me.
Never let me distance myself from you because of the
unwise actions of others.
In Jesus Name I humbly ask.***

No comments:

Post a Comment